Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Thing 5: Reflecting and reflecting


One of the key components to undertaking your chartership, revalidation or teaching qualification is the R word should be central to what we do! One of the hardest things which Emma comments on is time, I think we all reflect on what we do, whether we had handled a situation badly or how we can do it better a second time. Whether this process is written down or how you remember it is just important to take time out to do it. Getting into the habit can be very differcult, but what is more difficult to trying to remember what happened weeks or months after the event. I think that it is a great way to be honest with yourself - but try not to be too hard.

There are lots of different ways of recording your thoughts, albeit whether it is a blog, diary or just comments on a calendar. In the health sector, nurses are expected to be constiatncly reflecting on their practice and so there are a lot of books on the sheleves about this. I personally like Gibbs reflective cycle, as it shows that it reflection is a constiant and one which we should be doing and using. One of the things which I found useful is to try and take 20-30mins a week thinking about what you have done and how if you were asked to do it again, what you would do differently.

There is a great word document  reflective writing on the web which has come the university of portsmouth, it is a great tool to help you think about the terminiology used to help you think in a more reflective way, http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/studentsupport/ask/resources/handouts/writtenassignments/filetodownload,73259,en.pdf when I do the chartership workshop for the Career Development I always show and point leaners towards this.

No comments:

Post a Comment