Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Thing 2: investigating other blogs

Wow - there are so many blogs out there. I really was not sure where to start. I have to admit that I am a bit of a lurker, I read and do not post comments. I suppose that is a nice way to hide, so I will admit that I did try and leave some comments on wordpress, but as I do not have a wordpress account it did not seem to work. But I have been able to follow people and comment on some blogger blogs.

As I am based in Health library, I decided to focus in on this area, just to make it easier for me to find people. I suppose it is not so important to follow professionals in your sector, but I suppose it is good to get started. One of the things which is not worrying me, although I know that it is still early days, is that other people's blogs look so much better than mine. I suppose that this should give me some encouragement to look at the features and see what else I could add onto my blog.

It is reassuring to find out that alot of people are having the same thoughts and comments about joining this course. There is such a wide range of blogs that I will continue to work. I while ago, I asked a couple of colleagues how they manage to keep on top of blogs: there were numerous answers, the most popular were:

  • Take time out once a week to look through blogs and search for information
  • Use twitter to follow interesting people and then read what they have written (looking forward to the twitter piece which is coming up soon)
  • Create searches which will appear in your inbox, from google alerts.
One thing is very clear from this activity, the information is out there - you just have to search and find it - as a librarian, this is something which I am familiar with:)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, number two comes after three as I accidently pressed scheduled instead of publish automatically. Well, I am learning all of this:)
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete